Food is love, and the next best thing to eating food, is talking about it. Which I LOVE! This Valentine’s Day, surprise your special someone or family with these festive red velvet heart shaped waffles. They are definitely the jam, paired with the scrumptious and easy to make lemon cream cheese glaze!
February was always a busy month growing up, my mom, dad, uncle and cousins all have February birthdays. My dad’s birthday falls on Valentine’s Day, and to make it extra special each year my mom filled our house with Valentine’s Day décor; hanging garland of hearts, pillows with cupid and hearts hanging on the walls. On February 14th, my dad, brother and I woke up to the delightful smell of lemon and fluffy red velvet pancakes. My mom showed her love in many ways, and food was one of her favorites.
Now that I am a mom, one of my most favorite things is making LTP smile and feel loved. I channel the days in the kitchen with Aunt Marie and my mom when I’m in the kitchen with LTP today with laughs, bloopers, and building memories to last another lifetime.
Whether it’s Easter, Halloween, Christmas or Valentine’s Day, I love getting into a festive mood throughout year. I couldn’t let Valentine’s Day slip away without bringing some Valentine’s Day magic to the breakfast table. While everyone is sleeping, I’ll be whisking up a breakfast feast that will be filled with precious moments, laughter, and joy, just like the Valentine’s Day my mother used to create. I hope LTP will continue the tradition, and bring the magic and joy of cooking to his wife and kids on Valentine’s Day.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Servings: 10 – 12 waffles (depending on the size of your waffle maker)
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ tbsp. red food coloring
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large size bowl; flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder
and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine wet ingredients; eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and red food
- Pour milk and butter mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Add 3 tbsp of waffle mixture onto the waffle iron. Remove waffle once firm and cooked through.
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze Instructions
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl and beat until creamy (add more if needed). Drizzle over waffles and serve.
This is a house favorite recipe, because my taste tester has a sweet tooth. Check out LTP’s recipe review on the YouTube channel.