A TikTok Trend I Can Get Behind
Despite my best efforts, I have, like millions of others, fallen into the habit of scrolling through TikTok. With a little more time on our hands now… okay, a lot more time, it can be too easy to lose some of it to swiping through new dance trends, hair and makeup styles, and music mashups. Though, if you know me, you know my FYP (“For You Page”) has worked its magical algorithm and funnelled all the amazing food trends my way. There have been some tasty-looking trends, that I must admit, almost had me running to Target at unspeakable hours, but this one… this one I HAD to try! Plus, I knew Lawrence (LTP) would be the perfect assistant for helping me throw it together, it’s so easy.
Pasta On Replay
I have scrolled through countless versions of this recipe on TikTok at this point. Once a trend really gets going, you see it take many shapes. Everyone has their own tastes, tries their own add-ins, or comes up with their own tips along the way. It’s so easy for the original trend setter to be lost in the stream of TikToks, but I think the original Feta Pasta Bake creator deserves some old-fashioned credit for this one, because it’s a real winner! Jenni Häyrinen from Finland, also known as @liemessa on TikTok, created her original #uunifetapasta in 2019, and it went immediately viral in her home country. You can find her original post here! It’s no surprise the recipe made its way around the world, it really is THAT good.
Fast Cheesy Carbs
My three favorite words, and exactly why we had to try this recipe out. We all need to have a quick meal option on hand, whether you have work and school commitments, just need a break, or are looking for easy delicious recipes, even your kids can create. Lawrence (LTP) pretty much took care of this one, it’s literally nine ingredients, and takes mere minutes to put together. Most of the work is done by your oven.
This recipe is pretty flexible, with tomatoes and feta both being great ingredients for pairing with different flavors. You can keep it a vegetarian dish or add protein, you can get creative with cheese varieties and spice flavors, or maybe add more heat with your favorite hot sauce. We decided to stay true to the original recipe this time around.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40-45 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
YIELDS: 4 servings
- 8 – 16 oz bowtie pasta
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz feta cheese block
- 4 whole cloves of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- Dash of salt and pepper
- A few pinches red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place cherry tomatoes in a large baking dish, make a well in the center to put the block of feta cheese, and drizzle the olive oil over them.
- Add garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, and season with red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Place the baking dish in the center of the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the garlic has softened and the tomatoes have burst their skins.
- While the feta pasta bake is cooking, boil the pasta according to the package directions.
- Once baking is complete, carefully remove dish from the oven. Using a fork, mash the baked feta, garlic and tomatoes and mix until evenly combined.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta into the cheese mixture and stir until combined.
- Serve with fresh chopped basil.